What would happen if Christians could be honest about:
- Why there is so much religious pathology in the church.
- Why so many young people leave the church.
- Why so many Christians don’t deal with their own “stuff”.
- Why we don’t live what we believe.
- Why life is still hard.
- Why there is so much hypocrisy in the church.
- Why betrayal eventually visits every Christian.
- Why racism, classism, and sexism persist in the church.
- Why so many people in churches are judgmental.
- Why the church cannot meet all our needs.
A friend of mine, a literary agent, asked if I could write a book responding to questions that she had struggled with for so much of her Christian life. I’m not interested in writing a book on the answers but I did expand and edit her list. I don’t find, however, that these questions are indictments on the church. Understanding the answers, actually, is key to becoming mature, loving Christ-followers (Look for Part 2).