The following 25 points emerged out of multiple conversations between Rich Villodas and I around preaching in our context at New Life Fellowship Church. We have been noting how God has been coming to us through the preaching process. The following is the first of three parts on what we are learning about “emotionally healthy preaching.” They are not in order of importance.
- Remember: You are doing spiritual formation. Life change is our goal.
- Preach from grounded place of a contemplative (i.e. out of deep place of prayer).
- Be grounded in one text, referring to it often through the message.
- Do thorough exegetical work.
- Keep in mind the importance of silence and space in your preparation, adjusting your rhythms accordingly. You can’t do as many other leadership tasks. Embrace your limits.
- The text must change you first, both during and after the preparation. What is different in your life because of this sermon?
- Know your burden, the one passionate truth God has given you to share.
- Keep the sermon simple and memorable. Cut. Cut. Cut.
- Connect to the larger biblical story (Creation, Fall, redemption, restoration)
More to come. What might you add already to this list?