In this podcast, I introduce the elements of one way to move from traditional devotions to transformative devotions through the integration of the practice of the Daily Office. In particular, I focus on the four elements of this ancient treasure that utterly transformed my spiritual life:
- Focus on Communion
I focus on only the first two in this podcast – rhythms and silence. I begin by offering tips to get started on developing a rhythm of stopping to be with Jesus each day. I then do the same with silence, sharing ideas on how to be still before the Lord – be it for two minutes or twenty.
Persevering in the practice of silence and stillness as core to your time with God, however, is incredibly challenging – especially in the beginning. So, I close with ten reasons to encourage you to persevere and to not quit. They are:
- We know God in ways that can only happen in silence (See Ps. 46:10)
- We mature in our relationship with Jesus beyond our feelings.
- We learn to listen to God in all of life
- We relax, slow down and “soften.”
- We are transformed into Christ’s image. Our old self dies and our new self in Christ comes forth.
- We grow in love and compassion for others.
- We slowly listen more and talk less.
- We are less in a hurry to get things done, fix people, and run after the next spiritual gimmick.
- We are able to identify and expose the idols both in and around us.
- We are infused with a new level of courage to follow Jesus into the unknown.